Sunday, May 3, 2009

MS Walk 2009 Billings, MT

I went to the MS Walk yesterday in Billings. If there ever were something to look forward to after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) this was it. I wanted to go and meet others face-to-face who are living with MS. I did meet very briefly in line at the rest stop two other women, but other than that everyone just stuck to their own teams in the walk. I do understand that, but was kind of bummed I was not able to socialize more. The Walk itself happened on a beautiful day after a week of horrid weather. The first rest stop was at 1.2 miles where my daughter and I decided that was it for me and after resting, we walked the 1.2 miles back. I so wanted to continue on but my legs were mad at me for having gone that far. We took a photo of the 1.2 mile sign for the scrapbook because my goal for next year is to beat that.

After the walk we decided that since we drove 125 miles to go here and there is a mall, we could not leave without shopping! After whining and complaining in the mall, we hit WalMart where I asked for an electric scooter. I was told by the guy at the door that the four sitting there were all out of order, so my daughter and I back tracked to the parking lot to leave. There was just no way I could continue on walking. It made me sad seeing her face and after she gave up a track meet to come with me. So, we drove near the second entrance where I hobbled in and asked the woman for one of the two electric scooters. She did not seem impressed with me at all but said yes. It was like HEAVEN! when I finally was able to sit. My daughter and I enjoyed a long trip and too much money spent in WalMart after I was able to use one. I was glad we were out of town so no one would see me, Wrong! I did run into a woman from our small town but she smiled at me. In fact, she was the only person in WalMart who smiled at me. I guess I got a quick look in to how people must feel like in wheelchairs. The disgusted sigh because you are coming around the corner in an aisle and they are coming the other direction and about plow into you. Not one person say a word to me. I guess I did not realize just how rare I am that I actually look eye to eye with someone in a wheelchair and smile, and if I by chance take a corner around an aisle to fast, I smile and say hello or oops you go first, etc. Oh well, all I cared about was sweet relief for my hips, legs and feet.... and the shock of my reciept!

No comments: